To start off I went down to a local office supply store and picked up a message cork board of suitable size as a light but sturdy base for my display board. I used the same type of cork board before for my Chaos/IG display board so I knew it would work. I had also been thinking of a design for how I wanted it to look for some time now. I just was not sure how well it would turn out... and I still don't know as it is still a WIP as I am writing this.
Chaos/IG display board... You can see a bit of the Eye of Horus coming out from under the Drop Pod.
So for my new display board I knew I wanted it to look like the inside of a Palace/Fortress Monastery and to match the bases that I have made for all my models. So the first thing I did was to cut the same material that I have been using for my bases into 2"x2" squares and lay them out on the board like tile. As I was about 2/3 of the way though covering the board I realized it looked a little plain. So I decided to cut some 4"x4" sections and that I would lay them down in a pattern. This looked better and I knew that I would now have to cut a ton of pieces in half so that I could have the staggered tile pattern that I was going after.
Your basic Cork Message Board
Once I had everything cut and set in place it was time to start gluing everything in place. This part went rather quick as I left everything in place except for the row I was currently working on. This made it so that I knew where each piece went and stayed with a close fit.
Gluing the 2nd row of tiles down.
Once everything was finished it was time to step back and take a look at it!
The white parts are paper of some of the unglued parts. I did not manage to take a picture of it right after I finished gluing it all down...
And now to see what it looked like with my current 1500 point tournament army on it plus some extra models. So that I can see how it will look best arranged.
I put another column on the board to match the one that's on the Contemptor Dreads base. I think I will add 2 more closer to the front as well. But even then I think it looks a little plain so I am also working on making a back drop for it out the Imperial Sector kit. And that's about as far as I have gotten with this project so far.
It has energized me to start working on some other models that I have as well. I might be going to an 1850 tournament this weekend so have been working on expanding the 1500 list. I have not been able to play with the new list yet, but I think it looks promising. I will have to save that update for another blog entry. So...
Till next time! Happy Wargaming!