Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fun Army Lists.

So in order to break up all the Tournaments I have been going to lately I have been running Fun/non-competitive lists at my FLGS on our weekly gaming night. I have noticed that these lists have been doing well too. Now I don't know if it's because my opponents have bad luck mixed in with their own fun lists or not. But either way I have been having fun and that's what really matters when it comes down to 40k. I want to review the lists I have run over the last couple weeks and maybe even get some feedback on weather you guys think they really are competitive lists or if you would just consider it to be a fun/gimmicky list.



We shall start with the Master of The Forge list!

Not my fig but he looks awesome, right!

Now most of the places I visit on the Internet say that a MotF list is not really competitive at 1500 points as it normally will lack scoring units and or the proper supporting units. Now my game was against Imperial Guard and the person playing is a long time 40k player but is just getting back into IG after adding some new models to his collection.

My list- "(Metal) Hulk Smash!"

HQ: 
Master of the Forge w/Power Weapon

Troops:
5x Tac Marines w/Power Weapon, Melta Bomb, Razorback w/TL-Assault Cannon
5x Tac Marines w/Power Weapon, Razorback w/TL-Lascannon

Elite:
Ironclad Dread w/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Drop Pod 
Ironclad Dread w/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Drop Pod 
Dreadnought w/Multi-Melta, Drop Pod

Heavy Support:
Dreadnought w/TL-Lascannon
Dreadnought w/Assault Cannon
Predator w/Autocannon

Fast Attack:
Land Speeder w/Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
Land Speeder w/Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
Land Speeder w/Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta

In my game I got a little lucky in that the mission was kill points because I only have the 2 scoring units. But on the other hand I have 17 Kill Points and quite a few units with a low armor value. I was facing a list with 3 Vendettas (2 were in a squadron), 3 Armored Sentinels w/Missiles, a Manticore, 3 units of Missile Vets w/Flamer, and CCS w/Melta & Plasma. So I had to face down quite a few missiles.

At the end of the game my opponent had nothing left and I and several damaged vehicles and only lost 2 of the land speeders. I think in this game my opponent had some really bad luck on the damage chart and most of his results were Shaken/Stunned. I was able to take advantage of the Drop Poding dreads and the speed of the Land Speeders to help support them on turn 1. It was an interesting game as I was not used to playing with so many dreadnoughts and I think that helped me with forcing my opponent to make some hard target priority choices. Time for list 2!

Chaos Lord on Juggernaut and Lash Prince!

My fig but he is still a WIP

Ok so this is a list that I just made up earlier this week when I thought I was going to be playing a newer player who has been coming in with his Chaos Space Marines. I did not want it to be a competitive list but one that has several different unit types and abilities. I have always enjoyed Khorne as a basis for my chaos armies. When I stated Chaos back in 3rd Ed I played a World Eaters army and converted it over to Black Legion after I got tired of my Berzerkers jumping out of their Rhino in order to charge at things they could not hurt or even reach. So because of my love for Khorne I stated this army with a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut with Blood Feeder! Because you have to love all of those possible Str5 attacks. The problem here is his transportation so you really have to build the list around him, and this is what I came up with.

HQ:
Chaos Lord w/Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut of Khorne, Daemon Weapon (Blood Feeder)
Daemon Prince w/Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Wings

Troops:
8x Khorne Berzerkers w/Power Fist, Rhino w/Combi-Melta
10x Chaos Space Marines w/2x Meltaguns, Icon of Chaos Glory, Rhino

Elites:
10x Chaos Terminators w/Icon of Tzeentch, 2x Heavy Flamers, 2x Combi-Melta, 2x Combi-Plasma, 2x Chain Fists

Heavy Support:
5x Havocs w/4x Missile Launchers
5x Havocs w/4x Autocannons

The game I played was against Space Wolves, Drop Pod Logan Wing. The game was 5 Objectives/Spearhead. I won first turn. So I had the Khorne Lord join the group of Terminators so that he had some protection. The biggest weakness of this lord is that he still moves like infantry but can not be placed in a transport, and that he is still doubled out by Str8+, and only has a 3+/5++ save. Being with the Terminators added 10 bodies with 2+/4++ saves and could be a real life saver from hidden Power/Chain Fist or Thunder Hammers.

 My winged Daemon Prince


In this game I think my opponent had some real bad luck with his reserve rolls and I had some good rolling with Lash of Submission. Although my rolls for saves, to-hit, and wounds were awful all game. Turn 1 2 of his Drop Pods came down. 1 Delivered Arjac and company the other was a group of Wolf Guard Terminators. All of this units had a real nice mix of weapons and plenty of Storm Shield! (I really hate how well he rolled for his saves all game!)

After his shooting and running it was my turn and I poured as much fire into Arjac and his squad as I could. I disembarked the Berzerkers to shoot their pistols (and charge if need be, but I wanted to avoid that if possable) and the CSM to Rapid Fire and Melta them. He only lost 1 terminator... So my last option was to LASH! Arjac and company were thrown 10 inches away from everyone and behind a building (impassable) and the kicker was that they became Pinned!

The other unit of Wolf Guard ate 4 missile, 4 autocannons, 2 rapid fire plasmas, a melta, and a ton of Bolters... and lost 1 model. So I was able to charge them with the Terminators but the Lord was unable to make contact. I lost combat 3 to 1. Even with my 4++ saves I rolled 2 2s and a 1. I held and the fight continued, but the Lord was able to consolidate in. In the next turn the Lord was able to pull out 14 attacks! (gotta love good rolls on the 2d6) But only managed 7 wounds and killed 2. The power weapon terminators did nothing so it was down to my 2 chain fists vs 1 power fist... and I lost 2 more but was able to kill the last man. So with 10 terminators and the nasty Chaos Lord I still lost the 5 terminators and only killed 5. I felt like a really bad trade, but I was able to save my Havocs from certain death.

As the game continued I kept Lashing Arjac away from my army. My opponents Lone Wolf came in and killed some of the CSM that got out to shoot at Arjac. My Opponents last 2 reserve units  did not come in the game till turn 4 and turn 5 and with some bad Pod scatter was not in position to get to any of the objectives and my Lash made it even worse for the ones that got close.

In the end of the game I won 2 objectives to 0, but I think my opponent had more points left on the table. He was able to kill my Daemon Prince in the last turn of the game with all of his Wolf Guard and Drop Pods shooting, and I lost a berzerker to a drop pod shooting. After the game we counted up our dead and the Space Wolves only lost 6 Terminators, the lone wolf and 2 drop pods, while I lost 3 CSM, 5 Terminators, 1 Berzerker and the Daemon Prince.

So I would like to know what you guys think about fun/gimmicky lists. Do you run them? If so, what do you run?

Till next time! Happy Wargaming!  

No comments:

Post a Comment