Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Man it's HOT!" my 40k update.



I have noticed that I have not posted in a little while so I thought I should fix that issue. I have not been doing much in the realm of 40k lately much to my dismay. As I live here in the High Desert of Southern California it has been rather hot over the last couple weeks and that has been just zapping away my energy to really get anything done.



All I my time lately has been spent on getting a Swamp Cooler set up in my home so that I can have at least a little bit of relief from this heat. I have however gotten in a couple games, just no hobby work.

The first game I was able to get in I used my IG for the first time in 6th ed. Now most of the guys at my FLGS hate IG with a passion due to a competitive gamer who used to go to our store and stomp everyone on the open gaming night. So knowing this I just walked in the store and let everyone know that I brought my IG then asked if anyone would like to play with me.

The room was dead quiet for about 30 seconds... no response. I kind of expected that even though I don't play the same kind of list that the old IG player did. I did however get a young kid (I would say under 10, who was there with his dad) say that he would play me. I asked him what he had and how many points, he had 1500 points of Necrons. Then asked me if I had lots of tanks. I responded with a smile and a solid "Yes". He then smiled and said "Good!"

My list consisted of
HQ
Primaris Psyker

Troops
Vets
Vets

Fast
Vendetta w/Heavy Bolters
Vendetta w/Heavy Bolters
Hellhound w/Hull Heavy Flamer

Heavy
2x LRDemolishers
2x LRBT w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons
2x LRBT w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Now the kid had a really good grasp on the rules but lacked some of the strategy. It ended up being a quick game as he conceded after turn 3 when he still had a C'Tan, scarabs, Destroyer Lord, and a group of the Jump guys (Praetorians?), but I had not lost anything yet. Afterwords we played a killteams game or something similar (I had not played before) and I brought some Genestealers that were all quickly killed off.

My second game was a learning team game for a neighbor of one of the guys from the FLGS. We were playing 1k/person separate FOCs for everyone. It ended up being Space Marines (me)/Gray Knights VS Space Wolves/Orks(new Guy).

My teammate and I both took kind of funny 1 off lists and the other guys brought a pretty solid list. We ended up playing the "Relic" mission and won 2-1 with no one getting points for the relic. The GK player got a lucky shot on the bottom of turn 6 to kill the guy with the relic and win us the game. At the end I only had a Libby with Terminator armor and Storm Shield left on the table and he was stuck in combat for the last 2-3 turns with a unit of Ork Boys. I was lucky in that I had gotten Iron Arm as one of my powers and on one of the turns ended up being Toughness 7 so the orks could not hurt me, the rest of the time I was T5-6 and makeing a few saves every turn.

It was a fun game as my partner and I both though we had lost after the first 3 turns of the game. If my Libby had died it would have been a tie game.

My third game was last night. I ended up trying IG with SM Allies and brought what I though would be a tough list.

HQ
Primaris Psyker

Troops
Vet
Vet

Fast
Vendetta
Vendetta

Allies
HQ
Libby w/force staff

Troops
10-man tac with Flamer, missile, TL-Las Razorback

Fast
Land Speeder w/HF, MM

Elite
10x TH/SS Terminators

Heavy
Contemptor Mortis Dread w/Kheres Assault Cannons, CML

I played our "old man" at the store (aka Dr. Suspenders on the LATCS Podcast) and his Tyranids. It was short table edges and kill points. I was looking forward to kill points as I knew he always takes a Tervigon and was hoping for some extra KPs for its spawning.

I made him deploy and go first as it was night fight and I wanted him to get closer so that I could shoot him better in my turn. The first 1 1/2 turns I felt like it was going to be rather bleak for me. His Tyrant was already flying over my Terminators, his Doom dropped by the Tyrant and in rnage of the Terminators and a 5-man combat squad with Missile Launcher, and his Zoanthropes dropped behind the Dread and immobilized it.

It all turned around when on the bottom of 2 my Vendettas came in. I was able to take out the Hive Tyrant with shooting from one of the vendettas combined with the Razorback and the ML Tac Squad. The Land Speeder and Dreadnought were able to take out his unit of 22 Devilgaunts and the Vendetta targeted the Tyranid Prime that was left out in the open (was attached to the Gaunts.) Then the TH/SS Terminators pounded the Doom in the ground. From here on out it was a basic mop up. Locking up the Zoanthropes on CC, killing the Tervigon with Vendettas, taking out spawned gaunts with the dread and walking ever so slowly to the Hive Guard and Biovores with the Terminators.

Hopefully I have something more entertaining next time for you guys... like new Chaos Marines!

Till Next Time! Happy Wargaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment